Circus stars come in all sizes and ages! Pint-sized Saffi Watson, or “the human crazy straw” as we like to call her, stars in our kid-tastic show, In Tents with Recess Monkey. At just 10 years old, she’s already starred at Teatro ZinZanni, made appearances at the Moisture Festival, studied at the national circus school in Quebec, and is now making her appearance as the youngest person to participate in 25 Things interview! Our favorite pocket-sized aerialist/contortionist sat down with us to share a little bit with us:
1. If I could be any animal I would be a chimpanzee because they can swing in the trees. Also, maybe I would like bananas then.
2. The last movie I saw was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
3. Right now I’m reading Lizard Music by Daniel Pinkwater, and El Señor de los Ladrones by Cornelia Funke.
4. I enjoyed going to Whistler, BC, in the summer where I rode a zip line, swam in a hot tub and went canoeing.
5. If I could have dinner with three people (alive or dead) who would it be? I would like to have dinner with eight people instead – my great-grandma, and the seven great-grandparents I never got to meet.
6. I’m scared of medium to large sized spiders. In my room. Or anywhere in the house, really.
7. My favorite food is gluten-free Spanish tortilla, made with eggs, potatoes, onions and herbs.
8. I’ve always wanted to try indoor skydiving!
9. My celebrity crush… Mayor Monkey!
10. I choreographed a Michael Phelps themed ballet/gymnastics comedy act called Prima Phelpserina.
11. What’s my family like… Noisy! Mom plays piano, sister Anabel tap dances, dad sings, and I am noisy too – I practice rhythmic gymnastics and circus routines in the living room with music and sometimes play recorder or piano. Our dog Skippy, however, is very quiet.
12. My favorite book is Mr. Popper’s Penguins.
13. A good day for me: Getting up at 8am, eating dad’s gluten-free pancakes for breakfast, performing in a circus show, going to rhythmic gymnastics training, taking a circus or aerials class, going swimming, then eating lasagna and gelato. I would be tired after that, so the next day I would read a good book, do art projects and play musical instruments.
14. My super power would be flying like Super Saffi! In rainbow neon spandex.
15. My secret obsession is dark chocolate.
16. The School of Acrobatics and New Circus Arts (SANCA), is my favorite spot in Seattle.
17. I have a greyhound named Skippy!
18. I would love to visit Russia.
19. A memorable backstage moment for me… Seeing the large “dancing bear”, a.k.a. Korum Bischoff, at Teatro ZinZanni drinking a tiny cup of coffee. Also, he’s covered with feathers and could be mistaken for a dancing owl.
20. “First Impressions” by Edgar Meyer, Yo-yo Ma and Mark O’Connor is my favorite song.
21. I’m finally able to juggle three balls!
22. Moustache stickers are the coolest thing since sliced bread – I can finally grow a moustache like daddy.
23. Apple or PC? Windows.
24. I have a hidden talent for playing the recorder.
25. My greatest strength is spreading happiness.