Skilled fine artist, Javier Ortega, has collaborated with Teatro ZinZanni to create some breathtaking oil paintings that have been seen in “Maestro’s Menagerie” and “Hearts on Fire.” Originally from Seville, Spain, he now lives in Seattle where his work can be seen in many successful exhibitions in cafes and galleries around the city. You can also visit his work online at www.orttega.net. Here he reveals a few fun facts about himself.
Interview by Jennifer Watkins.
1. What is your favorite kind of food?
2. Where did you learn how to paint?
I don’t know, I’m still learning. I guess I learn with each new piece.
3. What was your first job?
At 14 years old I was an ice-cream man. It was a dream come true!
4. What was the last movie you watched?
5. What kind of music do you listen to?
I like music from all different parts of the world. It makes my mind travel.
6. What languages do you speak?
Spanish, English and Italian.
7. Where were you born?
I was born and raised in Seville, Spain.
8. At what age did you start painting?
My first memories are of painting in preschool.
9. Did you attend University?
No, I didn’t.
10. Do you paint with live models?
Sometimes, but not generally.
11. What are you afraid of?
12. Did you have any pets growing up?
I didn’t have any of my own, but my father lived in a house in the middle of nowhere, so there were lots of dogs, cats and many other animals. Their names were Curra, Rafaelito, Lola, Ramon…Spanish names. It was fun.
13. Where is your favorite place to travel to?
Anyplace with water.
14. Name one thing you are passionate about.
15. Have you ever broken any bones?
I’ve broken my nose and my brow bone.
16. Name a food you dislike.
17. Name a place you’ve never been to, but would like to travel to.
There are so many, I can’t really pick just one. Maybe the moon, to see the whole Earth in one glance.
18. What inspires you?
Feelings, and people who feel.
19. Describe your personality in three words.
Observant, Empathic, Intimate.
20. When you are not painting, what do you do for fun?
Anything outside. I love to run, jump and be in the sun.
21. Do you have any siblings?
I have a brother and sister.
22. Is anyone else in your family an artist?
My father used to paint, my brother is an art restorer, and my sister does everything you can imagine. She is amazing!
23. What is one thing you always bring with you when you travel?
Paper and a pencil.
24. Do you prefer tea or coffee?
25. Name something you love to cook.
I love to cook. One of my favorite dishes is a Spanish recipe: Calamares a la Riojana.